Wooler, Northumberland Genealogy
Guide to Wooler, Northumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Mary Wooler Northumberland
|Poor Law Union||Glendale|
|Parish registers: 1692|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1766|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Northumberland Record Office|
WOOLER (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union, and E. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 16½ miles (S.) from Berwick-upon-Tweed, 18 (N. W.) from Alnwick, 45 (N. N. W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and 318 (N. N. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Burghers and Presbyterians; also a Scottish Relief church, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Wooler St Mary is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Northumberland. Fenton, Northumberland is a chapelry of Wooler.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wooler, Northumberland Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS PRs = FamilySearch Parish Registers - free|
|PRTs = Parish Register Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|Wooler, Northumberland Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/282 Date: 1766-1868 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at FamilySearch Historical Records, initial image pages may appear blank in the collection and the images await reloading to overcome this known issue.
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
Wooler, St Mary: Records of baptisms 1692-1923, marriages 1693-1919 and burials 1692-1968 are available at Northumberland Collections Service. The International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.) includes baptisms 1692-1812 for this parish, and Boyd's Marriage Index includes marriages 1693-1812 and banns 1754-1812. Transcripts of baptisms 1692-1812, marriages 1693-1812, burials 1692-1812 and baptisms of dissenters 1723, 1745-1799 are available at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Dept.
- Wooler Mission (Ellingham) (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1819-1839 and deaths 1884 are available at Northumberland Collections Service.
- Wooler St Ninian (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1819-1839 and 1856-1887, marriages 1856-1870 and burials 1851-1884 are available at Northumberland Collections Service and at Berwick upon Tweed Record Office.
- Northumberland Collections Service has the following records for nonconformist churches located in this parish:
- Wooler, Cheviot Steet (Methodist) - Marriages 1926-1978
- Beaumont (Presbyterian) - Births/baptisms 1919-1975.
- Wooler, Cheviot Street (United Presbyterian) - Births/baptisms 1749-1851. (Births/baptisms 1749-1833 are included on the IGI.)
- Wooler, Tower Hill (Presbyterian) - Births/baptisms 1786-1836. (Included on the IGI for the same period.)
- Wooler, West (Presbyterian) - Births/baptisms 1752-1857, 1885-1950, marriages 1895-1921 and deaths 1906-1921. (Births/baptisms 1752-1857 are included on the IGI.)
- Wooler, Cheviot Street Presbyterian Church, baptisms 1752-1837 have been published on microfiche by Berwick Record Office (Indexed).
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.