Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Woodbury County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Woodbury County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Sioux City|
|Address|| Woodbury County Courthouse|
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Directories
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate
- 5.12 Taxation
- 5.13 Vital Records
- 5.14 Societies and Libraries
- 5.15 Websites
- 5.16 References
The County was named for Levi Woodbury (1789–1851), a senator and Governor of New Hampshire who served as a Supreme Court justice from 1844 until his death. The County has Sioux City as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Woodbury County, Iowa Record Dates
Woodbury County Courthouse
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
Woodbury County was created when the legislature passed an act organizing the county in 1853. The County was named in honor of Levi Woodbury former Governor of New Hampshire, US Secretary of the Treasury and Supreme Court Justice.
1851--Woodbury County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was originally named Wahkaw, but changed to Woodbury 22 January 1853. It was organized 7 March 1853. County seat: Sioux City 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
- Woodbury County by Genweb Iowa
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1856- Iowa census of Woodbury County, Sioux City, - Book format
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Sioux City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan
- Records of the Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Sioux City, Iowa Directories, 1889-90, 1892-93 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Woodbury and Plymouth Counties, Iowa History at Ancestry.com ($)
- Woodbury County history, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
- History of the counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa : includes... By Will Leach Clark, J. E. Norris and others. Chicago, Illinois : A. Warner, 1890-1891. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, Google Books.
- The History of Woodbury County, Iowa. By the Woodbury County Genealogical Society. Dallas, Texas : National ShareGraphics, c1984. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- 1882-1909 — Sioux Valley News at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1909-15 and 1955 — Correctionville News at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1912-14 and 1937 — The Correctionville Argus at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1884-86 — Barometern at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux City, IA, USA
- 1964 The Sioux City Sunday Journal at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux City, IA, USA
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Woodbury - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Woodbury County, Iowa Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from the Sioux City, Moville, Sloan, Correctionville, and Danbury areas.
Societies and Libraries
Woodbury County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 624
Sioux City, IA 51102-0624
Sioux City Public Museum Research Center
607 4th Street
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Sioux City Iowa Family History Center 1201 W Clifton Ave, Sioux City, IA 51104 United States Location Map
- Woodbury County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Woodbury County Information
- Woodbury County Migrations
- Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Woodbury, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbury_County,_Iowa."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).