Wolverhampton St George, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Wolverhampton St George, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Wolverhampton St George, Staffordshire|
|Hundred||East Cuttlestone; North Seisdon; South Offlow|
|Poor Law Union||Wolverhampton|
|Registration District||Penkridge; Walsall; Wolverhampton|
|Parish registers: 1833|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Wolverhampton; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Wolverhampton St George is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1834 from Wolverhampton St Peter, Staffordshire Ancient Parish. The following non-Church of England denominations were located somewhere in Wolverhampton, but the exact parish has not been identified: Baptist, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wolverhampton St George parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|WOLV = Wolverhampton History - free|
|WOLVERHAMPTON ST GEORGE PARISH (1608) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Wolverhampton St George, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- 'Parish Register Indexes', The History of Wolverhampton: The City and Its People, accessed 20 August 2014.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8