|Wisconsin Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Wisconsin genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major periodicals and magazines helpful for Wisconsin research include:
- Family Finding: a quarterly newsletter of the Wisconsin Jewish Genealogical Society 1990–. Published by the Society, c/o Penny Deshur, 9280 N. Fairway Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53217; quarterly. Family History Library book 977.5 D25fa.
- French Canadian/Acadian Genealogists of Wisconsin Quarterly 1987–. Published by French Canadian Genealogists of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 414, Hales Corners, WI 53130; Tel. 414-786-6408. Quarterly. Family History Library book 977.5 D25f. The quarterly includes lists of surnames being researched by members.
- Gems of Genealogy 1975–. Published by the Bay Area Genealogical Society; P.O. Box 283, Green Bay, WI 54305-0283; bi-monthly. Family History Library book 977.5 D25gg.
- Genealogical Gems 1982–. Published by the Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1592, Appleton, WI 54913-1592. Family History Library book 977.5 D25g.
- Korzenie/Roots/Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin 1989–. Published by the Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 342341, Milwaukee, WI 53234-2341; semi-annual. Family History Library book 977.5 D25k.
- La Crosse Area Genealogical Quarterly 1974–. Published by the La Crosse Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1782, La Crosse, WI 54602-1782. Family History Library book 977.571 D25L.
- M.C.G.S. Reporter 1969–. Published by the Milwaukee County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 27326, Milwaukee, WI 53227-0326. Family History Library book 977.594 D25mc.
- Wisconsin Families 1940-41. Published by the Wisconsin Genealogical Society. Quarterly. Family History Library 977.5 D25w; film 873820 item 2.
- Wisconsin Magazine of History 1917-. Published by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Family History Library book 977.5 B2w. The complete collection from 1917 to the present has been digitized and place online at the Wisconsin Historical Society website.
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society Newsletter 1954–. Published by the Society, P.O. Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705-0106. Family History Library book 977.5 B2n. There is a cumulative index to 1963.
- Wisconsin Then and Now 1954-1979. Published by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Madison, WI. Quarterly. Family History Library book 977.5 B2wt.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Wisconsin periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Wisconsin-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.