Winterborne Whitechurch, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Winterborne Whitechurch, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Winterborne Whitechurch, Dorset|
|Poor Law Union||Blandford|
|Parish registers: 1599|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1731|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
WINTERBORNE-WHITCHURCH, a parish, with W.-Whatcombe hamlet and Law-Lee tything, in Blandford district, Dorset; 5 miles WSW of Spetisbury railway station, and 5¼ SW of Blandford. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Samuel Wesley was vicar, but eventually ejected for non-conformity; and his sons, John and Charles, the founders of Methodism, were born here during his incumbency.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.