Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Winona County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Winona County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 4, 1854|
|Address|| Winona County Courthouse|
171 W 3rd Street
Winona, MN 55987
Winona County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for a Dakota legend regarding a woman, referred to as Winona, who was betrothed to marry a warrior whom she did not love. Rather than marry him, she is said to have leapt to her death from a rock now called "Maiden's Rock" on Lake Pepin. This legend is colloquially referred to as the Winona legend. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Winona County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870
probate records from 1871 and school records 1909-1939. 
- 1854--Winona County was created 4 April 1854 from Fillmore and Wabasha Counties. County seat: Winona 
- For a brief history of how Winona County was named click here. Then select Winona County.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
"The History of Wabasha County" Online history book of early Wabasha and Winona Counties published in 1884.
Altura | Dakota | Elba | Goodwin | La Crescent | Lewiston | Minneiska | Minnesota City | Rollingstone | St. Charles | Stockton | Utica | Winona
Dresbach | Elba | Fremont | Hart | Hillsdale | Homer | Mt. Vernon | New Hartford | Norton | Pleasant Hill | Richmond | Rollingstone | Saratoga | St. Charles | Utica | Warren | Whitewater | Wilson | Wiscoy
Ashton | Enterprise | Grover | Homer | Whitewater Falls
Wikipedia for Winona County
- Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- United States Census 1850 Searchable FamilySearch Wiki leads to name index and images available for free.
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of the Central Lutheran Church, Winona, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Winona – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1874 Map of Winona County. Includes landowners, churches, cemeteries. From the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Civil War service men from Winona County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Winona County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies G, I and L.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B and D.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company A.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Winona County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory Locations and contact information for Winona County newspapers.
- Winona Newspaper Project Online newspapers from the historical Winona Argus, the Winona Daily Republican and the Winona Republican Herald newspapers.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Winona County Genealogical Society
PO Box 363
Winona County Historical Society
160 Johnson Street
- Laird Lucas Memorial Library & Archives Houses the Winona County Historical Society Archives and contains historical books, newspapers, manuscripts, documents and photographs.
- Winona County Historical Society website
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Winona County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Family History 101 - My Minnesota Genealogy This site has information on Winona Co. and where to find county records.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Winona County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winona_County,_Minnesota accessed 15 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winona County, Minnesota page 370, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.