Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Winn Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Winn Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1852|
|Address|| 119 West Main St.|
Winnfield, LA 71483
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Walter Winn or Winfield Scott. The County has Winnfield as its seat and the County was created February 24, 1852. The County is located in the central area of the state. 
Winn Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1852--Winn Parish was created 24 February 1852 from Natchitoches, Catahoula, and Rapides Parishes.
Parish seat: Winnfield 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
COURTHOUSE DAMAGED $15,000
1917 A fire on 18 January destroyed parts of the courthouse and many records.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Winn Parish Family Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Winn Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Winn Parish Census Data|
- Winn Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Winn Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Winn Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Winn Parish Deeds and Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Winn Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
War of 1812
- 1883 - Winn Parish, Louisiana, Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Company C
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Winn Parish, Louisiana, World War 2 Army Enlistment Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Winn Parish World War II Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Index to Winn Parish Newspaper Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Winn Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Winn Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Index to Winn Parish Wills and Estate Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Winn Parish School Records. Scroll down on page to "School Records." (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation. (Index to Winn Parish Tax Lists (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Index to Winn Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Winn Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Winn Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Winn Parish Genealogical & Historical Association
PO Box 652
Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Winn Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Winn Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project.
- Winn Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Winn Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- [http://ldsgenealogy.com/LA/Winn-Parish.htm Winn Parish LA Genealogy} (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Winn, Louisiana" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winn_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winn Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Winn Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.