Windsor County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Windsor County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Windsor County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 22, 1781|
|Address|| Windsor County Courthouse|
12 The Green
Woodstock, VT 05091-1212
Mailing Address: PO Box 458,
Woodstock , VT 05091
Windsor County Website
- 1 Description
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Brief History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County is located in the east area of the state. 
County Clerk has divorce and city records from 1782; Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial and land records; Probate Judge has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Woodstock 1761 
Created 22 February 1781 from the Colonial lands. 
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
|Hartford :Locations Azra Wyman grave||North Hartland Rd near N Hartland town line, east side Lat 43.613N Long 72.354W Simonds/Simons, Orange County;|
Advent Christian Campground, behind Mt.Olivet cemetery,Rt.5
Center of Town Cemetery
|Old King's Highway (off Town Farm Rd West Hartford) Lat 43.678N Long 72.451W old St Anthony's, Addison County|
|Center of Town Rd at King's Highway Lat 43.660N Long 72.382W Christian Street, Windsor County||South Main St,adjacent to South End (cremations only) South End|
|Rt 5 opposite Dothan Brook School Lat 43.688N Long 72.32W Windsor County||South Main St,adjacent to old St Anthony's|
Delano Savage cemetery
Jct of Rt 14 and Jericho St Lat 43.68664N Long 72.39921W
Hartford(Point), Windsor County
Potters Field Old River Rd on Paronto property
|Rt 14 near I-91 overpass Lat 43.656N Long 72.328W Mt. Olivet, Windsor County||Rt 14 near Sharon town line Lat 43.7211N Long 72.4203W (on private property) West Hartford, Windsor County|
|Rt 5 near Bugbee St Lat 43.662N Long 72.312W Potwin Family Lot, Windsor County||Rt 14 near W Hartford bridge Lat 43.715N Long 72.418W Wright's Tomb, Windsor County|
|Potwin property off Red Barn Rd, Quechee (private) Quechee||VA Cut-off Rd, White River Junction|
|Old Quechee Rd,Quechee Lat 43.647N Long 72.416W Russtown, Windsor|
Land and Property
Click History of Windsor County, Vermont to read this book on the Internet.
Click History of Windsor County, Vermont to find libraries with this book (WorldCat).
Service men in Windsor County, Vermont served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Windsor County, Vermont:
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies B, C, E and K
- - 16th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies A, C, E, G, H and K
- Windsor County furnished 2 companies in the First Vermont Regiment
- Company B, also known as Woodstock Light Infantry. Most men came from the town of Woodstock.
- Company E, also known as Cavendish Light Infantry. Most men came from the town of Cavendish.
Second Vermont Regiment was muster in June 20,1861 and mustered out July 15, 1865. Relatively few recruits were from Windsor County, and most were scattered through companies C, E, and I.
Third Vermont Regiment was mustered in July 16, 1861 and mustered out July 11, 1865. Many men from Windsor enlisted in this regiment in all companies except company G.
Fourth Vermont Regiment was mustered in September 21, 1861. Recruits for one year and recruits whose service would end before October 1, 1865 mustered out June 19, 1865. The remainder of the regiment mustered out July 13, 1865. Probably fewer Windsor men were in this regiment than in the 3rd Regiment. Windsor men were in all companies.
Fifth Vermont Regiment was mustered in September 16, 1861. Non-veterans were mustered out October 14, 1864. The regiment mustered out June 29, 1865. Few Windsor County men were in this regiment.
Sixth Vermont Regiment was mustered in October 15, 1861 and mustered out June 26, 1865. Original members, not veterans, were mustered out October 28, 1864. Recruits for one year, and recruits whose term of service would expire before October 1, 1865, were mustered out June 19, 1865. It was attached to the First Vermont Brigade. Men from various towns were scattered throughout the companies.
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
- 1732 - 2005 Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850 - 2005 Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1765 - 1908 Vermont, Births and Christenings FamilySearch
- 1909 - 2008 Vermont, Birth Records Ancestry $
- 1981 - 2001 Vermont Births Ancestry $
- 1791 - 1974 Vermont Marriages FamilySearch
- 1909 - 2008 Vermont, Marriage Records Ancestry $
- 1981 - 1984, 1989 - 2001 Vermont Marriage Index Ancestry $
- 1871 - 1965 Vermont Deaths and Burials FamilySearch
- 1909 - 2008 Vermont, Death Records Ancestry $
- 1981 - 2001 Vermont Death Index Ancestry $
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries
Barnard Historical Society
VT Route 12
PO Box 234
Barnard, VT 05031
Bethel Historical Society
Museum in Brick Church
PO Box 25
Bethel, VT 05032
Black River Academy Museum and Historical Society
14 High Street
PO Box 73
Ludlow, VT 05149
Cavendish Historical Society
Former Town Hall and Church
VT Route 131
PO Box 472
Cavendish, VT 05142
Windsor Historical Society
PO Box 300
Windsor, VT 05089
Woodstock Historical Society
Dana House Museum and Woodstock History Center
26 Elm Street
Woodstock, VT 05091
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Windsor County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog FamilySearch Catalog for Windsor County
- The Windsor County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Windsor County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Windsor, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699, Windsor County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Lewis Cass Aldrich, and Frank R. Holmes, History of Windsor County, Vermont (Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason, 1891), 110-77, Chapter 10, Windsor County During the War of the Rebellion.
A History of Royalton Vermont with Family Genealogies 1769-1911 (Evelyn M. Wood Lovejoy 1911)