Windham County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Windham County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about Windham county in Vermont. For other uses, see Windham (disambiguation).
|Windham County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 22, 1781|
|Address|| Windham County Courthouse|
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 207, Newfane, VT 05345-0207
Windham County Website
- 1 Description
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from 1825; Probate Judge has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Windham 1795 
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VTGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
Land and Property
Regiments and Companies:
- - 1st Regiment, Vermont Heavy Artillery, Companies A B C D E F G and H
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies D, F and I
- - 16th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies B, D, F and I
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Windham County residents.
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
There are two Windham County Probate Districts:
- Marlboro District - Brattleboro, Dover, Dummerston, Guilford, Halifax, Marlboro, Newfane, Somerset, Stratton, Vernon, Wardsboro, Whitingham and Wilmington.
- Westminster District - Athens, Brookline, Grafton, Jamaica, Londonderry, Putney, Rockingham (including Bellows Falls), Townshend, Westminster and Windham.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at Vermont, Windham County Westminster District Probates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Dover Historical Society
1829 Harris House
63 Copper Hill
West Dover Village
PO Box 128
East Dover, Vermont 05341-0053
Historical Society of Windham County
Vermont Rte 30 Main Street
PO Box 246
Newfane, VT 05345
Brattleboro Historical Society, Inc
230 Main Street, 3rd floor
196 Main St
Dummerston Historical Society<brPO Box 8064
North Brattleboro, VT 05304
Guilford Historical Society
1822 Town Hall
Guilford Center Road
236 School Road
Guilford VT 05301
Jamaica Historical Foundation
3417 VT Rte 30
Jamaica, VT 05343
Marlboro Historical Society
364 South Road
PO Box 109
Marlboro, VT 05344
Putney Historical Society
Museum in Town Hall
PO Box 260
Putney, VT 05346
Saxtons River Historical Society
PO Box 18
Saxtons River, VT 05154
Townshend Historical Society
PO Box 202
Townshend, VT 05353
- Windham County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog FamilySearch Catalog for Windham County
- The Windham County VTGenWeb Project, a member of The VTGenWeb Project , an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Windham County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Windham, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windham_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699, Windham County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 394-95. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.