Whitefriar's, Middlesex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Whitefriar's)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Guide to Whitefriar's, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Whitefriar's, Middlesex
Type Extra-parochial
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred London, Without the Walls
County London
Poor Law Union City of London
Registration District London City
Records begin
Parish registers: For records see surrounding parishes
Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Not Applicable
Diocese Not Applicable
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
Location of Archive
London Record Office

Parish History[edit | edit source]

WHITECHAPEL (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex; adjoining the city of London, The church, previously to 1329, was a chapel of ease to St. Dunstan's, Stepney, the rector of which parish, in that year, made Whitechapel a rectory. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and other dissenters. In Little Aylie Street is the German Lutheran church, dedicated to St. George, a neat building with a campanile turret; and in Hooper's Square is a German Calvinistic chapel.[1]

Additional information:

Whitefriars is a district of the city [of London-proper], which extends from the western side of Water Lane, Fleet Street, to the Temple, and from Fleet Street to the [River] Thames. It derives its name from being the site of the ancient Convent of Carmelites, or Whitefriars... This convent was founded in 1241, by Sir Richard Grey, ancestor of the Lord Greys, of Codnor, Derbyshire, and was afterwards rebuilt about 1350... The conventual church was built [during the] reigns of Edward III and Richard II, and it was the burial place of many persons of distinction.

At the dissolution of the religious houses, in the reign of Henry VIII, this convent and its church were surrendered to the crown, and the king conferred different portions of the buildings to his favourites; and in 1557 Edward VI granted the church, chapter and other parts of the priory to the Bishop of Worcester and his successors.

In 1608, the inhabitants of this district obtained several liberties, privileges and exemptions, by a charter granted them by James I, which placed them out of jurisdiction of the City of London. This soon rendered the place an asylum for insolvent debtors, cheats, and gamblers, who gave it the name of Alsatia, [taken from Sir Walter Scott's...tale of the "Fortunes of Nigel"]. The inconvenience became at last so intolerable, that in 1696 an act of parliament was passed to deprive the district of privileges that were so injurious to the community.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Whitefriars parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:

FS PRs = England, Middlesex, Westminster, Parish Registers, 1538-1912 (FamilySearch) - free
FS = FamilySearch - free
FMP = Middlesex Baptisms (FindMyPast) - ($)
FMP London = Greater London Marriage and Burial Indexes (FindMyPast) - ($)
ANC 1 = London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 (Ancestry) - ($)
ANC 2 = London, England, Church of England Records (Ancestry) - ($)
ANC Marr = London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921 (Ancestry) - ($)
BOYD = England, Boyd's Marriage Indexes, 1538-1850 (FindMyPast) - free
IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free[2]
FS Catalog PRs = FamilySearch Catalog Parish registers - free
FS Catalog BTs = FamilySearch Catalog Bishop's transcripts - free
Whitefriars Online Parish Records
Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PRs 1538-1912
FS 1538-1975
FMP 1543-1876

FMP London

ANC 1 1538-1812
ANC 2 1813-1917
ANC Marr





FS Catalog PRs

FS Catalog BTs

To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

Whitefriar's in Whitechapel on GENUKI

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 543-551. Adapted. Date accessed: 22 January 2014.
  2. ArcherSoftware.co.uk