Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Whitechurch Canonicorum, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset|
|Poor Law Union||Bridport|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1730|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM (Holy Cnoss), a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of Whitchurch-Canonicorum, Bridport division of Dorset, 2½ miles (N. K. by E.) from Charmouth; There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents..
WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Dorset. The village stands 5 miles WNW of Bridport r. station; took its name from an alien monastery called Album Monasterium. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. The sub-district contains six parishes, and is in Bridport district.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1848. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 12 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 5 July 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.