Westchester New York Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Westchester Family History Center (FHC) is one of only two FHCs in Westchester County. The other FHC in Westchester is the Yorktown FHC in Ossining.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- To see a map of our location, click on Google Map.
- 60 Wayside Ln Scarsdale NY 10583 United States
- The Family History Center (FHC) is located on the west side of the building, adjacent to the smaller of the two parking lots.
- The doors on the west side are open.
- So, if you park in the larger parking lot, you will need to walk around the front of the building to get to the open doors.
closed for the month of August each year: closed the week of Thanksgiving: The week between Christmas and New York's Day: Call the FHC for the exact dates closed at year end:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog is available for your use on the computers within the Westchester FHC. This is the same catalog that you would see if you were using your own computer at home. The newer link is https://www.familysearch.org/catalog-search
- The Westchester FHC has an extensive collection of over 1,800 microfilms available on extended loan which all can use for free. To see what is available, see the binder in the FHC showing a listing either by microfilm/fiche number or by locality. Included are the many microfilms of the Irish Civil Registration indexes.
- The Westchester FHC also has an extensive book collection that can be used within the facility.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, Fold3 (formerly Footnote), World Vital Records, among other premium websites.
Hardware and Equipment
Available to partons are:
- 4 computers with Internet connections
- 6 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
- 2 film/fiche printers.
The staff of the Westchester FHC provides research help to our patrons. We do not perform the research for you, but we do try to answer your questions and suggest possible sources.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Westchester County Genealogy Society: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywcgs/
- NYGenWeb for Westchester County: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
- Westchester County Archives: archives.westchestergov.com/
- Westchester County Historical Society: www.westchesterhistory.com/
- FamilySearch.org's Wiki page for Westchester County: www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Westchester_County,_New_York
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center
The Westchester FHC is always in need of volunteers. If you can volunteer two or more hours during the week, please leave your name and phone number with the staff and the Stake Temple and Family History Consultant - center will contact you. You don't need to be an expert in genealogy to volunteer. It is only through the generosity of our volunteers that we can keep the facility open. So, please consider volunteering.