West Haven, Rutland County, Vermont Genealogy
West Haven was taken out of Fair Haven, which had been chartered by Vermont in 1779. Apparently there had been discussion about dividing the town almost from the very beginning. The name West Haven was chosen for the new town was chartered on Oct. 20, 1792.
The two towns were required by the legislature to share one representative for thirty-one years, until West Haven was finally given its own seat in 1823.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for West Haven is Fair Haven.
Fair Haven Probate Court
3 North Park Place
Fair Haven, VT 05743
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day West Haven. For location of cemeteries, see Cemteries of Vermont, Rutland County, website at this link.
- Adams Elbow Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Carver Falls Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Ghost Hollow Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Hackett Dam Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Hitchcock Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- J. Adams Road Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Haven Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, can be found on FamilySerach (browse only images) at this link. These records include Town records, v. 2, 1786-1836, and Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1868-1995; indexes to births, marriages, deaths, 1857-1946.
The Family History Library has microfilm of other original West Haven records.
West Haven Town Clerk
2919 Main Road
West Haven, VT 05743
Phone: (802) 265-4880
Rutland Herald online at this link.
Libraries and Historical Societies
West Haven Historical Society
Mailing Address: 2919 Main Road, West Haven, VT 05743
Phone: (802) 265-4880 or (802) 265-2177
Contact: Tad Mandel, Vice President
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 6999 Rutland County, Vermont.
- History Rutland County Vermont, Edited by H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann, Syracuse, NY, 1886.