West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1824|
|County Seat||St. Francisville|
|Address|| 4785 Prosperity Street|
St. Francisville, LA 70775
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Marie Félicité de Gálvez. The County has St. Francisville as its seat and the County was created 1824. The County is located in the central area of the state.
West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
West Feliciana Parish Courthouse
4789 Prosperity Street
Saint Francisville, LA 70775
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1879,
divorce, probate and court recordsd from 1900
and land records from 1811.
1824--West Feliciana Parish was created 17 February 1824 from Feliciana (old) Parish.
Parish seat: Saint Francisville 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Possible record loss due to a courthouse fire on an unknown date.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- East Baton Rouge
- East Feliciana
- Pointe Coupee
- West Baton Rouge
- Wilkinson County, Mississippi
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- West Feliciana Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to West Feliciana Parish Biographies Surnames A-D, Surnames E-J, Surnames K-P, Surnames Q-S, Surnames T-Z (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Feliciana Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on West Feliciana Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|West Feliciana Parish Census Data|
- West Feliciana Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- West Feliciana Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- West Feliciana Parish Land Records (LAGenWeb Project)
Local histories are available for West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- West Feliciana Parish Historical Records - miscellaneous records. (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Feliciana Parish History (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, Company C
- Company C: CSA West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company C
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Korean War MIA's, POW's & KIA's (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- West Feliciana Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to West Feliciana Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- pre-1825 West Feliciana Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- West Feliciana Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- West Feliciana Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1860 Mortality Schedule. Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1860 in the Parish of West Feliciana, State of Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Grace Episcopal Church Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
- West Feliciana Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- West Feliciana Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- West Feliciana Parish, LAGenWeb Project
- West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- West Feliciana Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Feliciana_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., West Felicia Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "West Feliciana Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22125.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02. ; Report on the Population of the United States at the Eleventh Census, 1890. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1895.