West Dean, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to West Dean, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Dean, Wiltshire|
|Poor Law Union||Stockbridge|
|Registration District||Alderbury; Stockbridge|
|Parish registers: 1754|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
DEAN, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wiltshire, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Salisbury. There is also a chapel of ease at East Grimstead, lying partly in the county of Hampshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
West Dean, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|West Dean, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)] pp. 15-23. Date accessed: 21 October 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Search more than 99,000 new Wiltshire parish baptism records,' findmypast, accessed 5 June 2014. Coverage year range is not clearly identified.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 14 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.