Werrington, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Werrington, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Martin's Church, Werrington
|Poor Law Union||Launceston|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Rural Deanery||Trigg Major|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WERRINGTON (St. Martin and St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Launceston, hundred of Black Torrington, Lifton and N. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Launceston.
Werrington St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall which was formerly in Devon. Other places in the parish include: Bridgetown and Yeolmbridge.
In Werrington Park is a substantial house built by Sir Francis Drake about 1620. A larger mansion was built next to it on the site of old parish church in the early 18th century (the architect may have been William Kent).
The church was dedicated to St Martin of Tours. The parish is in the Archdeaconry of Cornwall, and Deanery of Trigg Major. The Church (St. Martin and St. Giles) was rebuilt in 1742 with a large tower, and two small ones at the west end.
The parish is part of Boyton, North Tamerton, Werrington with St Giles-In-The-Heath and Virginstow United Parish, United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Werrington, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|WERRINGTON PARISH Online Records|
|IARC||1663, 1682-1745||1701-1745||1654, 1682-1739|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 251
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Werrington on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 513-517. Date accessed: 05 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Devon Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Taken from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Edward King, 'Extracts from the Registers of Werrington, Co. Devon,' in George W. Marshall, ed., The Genealogist, Vol. 4 (1880):61-63, 165. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.