Wells St Cuthbert, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Wells St Cuthbert, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Wells St Cuthbert, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Wells|
|Parish registers: 1608|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
WELLS, a city, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 19 miles (S. W.) from Bath, 19 (S.) from Bristol, and 120 (W. by S.) from London; containing, with that part of St. Cuthbert's parish, which is without the limits of the city. The city comprises only the in-parish of St. Cuthbert, which surrounds the cathedral precincts: the several hamlets that are without the limits of the city, extending seven miles in circuit, form the out-parish of St. Cuthbert. In the town are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wells St Cuthbert, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|WELLS ST CUTHBERT PARISH Online Records|
|FREG||1611-1754, 1826-1838, 1860-1890||
||1727-1740, 1754-1772, 1778-1812, 1837-1853||
||1813-1835, 1855-1872|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 26 September 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.