Welland County, Ontario Genealogy
|Ontario Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Welland County ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Civil Registration
- 3 Census Records
- 4 Church Records
- 5 Cemetery Records
- 6 History
- 7 Places/Localities
- 8 Resources
- 9 Populated Places Table
- 10 Websites
Welland County (area, excluding cities was 226,970 acres) is a historic county in the Canadian province of Ontario.
The county was formed in 1845 from Lincoln County. The county was named from the Welland River. The river got its name from John Graves Simcoe who named it after the River Welland which forms a border of Lincolnshire, England. Niagara Falls, and the Townships in this county were among the earliest settlements in Upper Canada.
In some census and election records from the late 19th century, the townships of Pelham and Wainfleet (which can be seen on the map below) were enumerated as part of Monck County. However, Monck never existed as a county in the political sense, but only as an electoral district.
In 1970, Lincoln and Welland Counties were amalgamated to form the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1858 - 1913 - Ontario, Canada Births, 1858-1913 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1912 - Ontario Births, 1869-1912 at --index. ($)
- 1801-1858 - Ontario, District Marriage Registers, 1801-1858 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1801-1928, 1933-1934 - Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1858-1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1869-1937, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario Deaths, 1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
Writing for a More Recent Birth, Marriage, or Death Record
- ServiceOntario, Birth Records is the only government-authorized source for obtaining birth certificates. Go to the section entitled "Order a Birth Search". This is the most economical, searches the widest time period, and allows searches for people not immediately related. A letter of information is provided rather than a certificate.
- ServiceOntario, Marriage Records offers a marriage search option and a historical certificate option.
- ServiceOntario, Death Records offers a death search option and a historical certificate option. Also official death certificates are available to a wider range of relatives than birth and marriage certificates.
FamilySearch Library Microfilmed Records
Some of the church/civil records have been microfilmed by FamilySearch.These microfilms may be available for viewing at Family History Centers around the world. To find a microfilm:
- a. Click on records for Canada, Ontario, Welland County. You will see a list of available records for the county.
- b. You will also see above the list the link Places within Canada, Ontario, Welland County. This will take you to a list of towns in the counties, which are links to records for the specific town.
- c. Click on any topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- d. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the microfilm listed for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the microfilm is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the microfilm.
Ontario and Nova Scotia Census, 1800-1842
Canada Census, 1851
Census of Canada, 1861
Census of Canada, 1871
Census of Canada, 1881
Census of Canada, 1891
Census of Canada, 1901
Census of Canada, 1911
Census of Canada, 1921
Church records can include baptisms, marriages, burials, membership lists, financial business, and other records for a particular congregation. They may be available online or on microfilm, but frequently they are still with the local church or in centralized archives by religion. The Canadian census records asked for the religion of those listed, so you will be able to narrow down which archives to consult. For help with writing a letter requesting copies of records, see Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy.
- Link to Anglican church archives
- Link to Baptist church archives
- Link to Catholic church archives
- Link to Lutheran church archives
- Link to Moravian church archives
- Link to Presbyterian church archives
- Link to United Church of Canada (including Methodist) church archives
Online Church Records
These records are incomplete.
- Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 collection includes indexed Ontario church records.
- Ontario Marriages, 1800-1910.
- Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923.
- Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1802-1967
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Marriages, 1827-1870, ($).
- Various individual church records at FindMyPast, ($).
See, Ontario Cemeteries for information on cemetery record collections not yet digitized, but available in published sources and on microfilm.
Online Cemetery Records
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid website has a free, searchable database of over 2 million burials in Ontario. It can be searched by name, cemetery, county and town, but its references do not include dates of death. Although it does not include any gravestone inscriptions, it can be used to locate graves in Ontario.
- Ontario Cemetery Ancestory Index
- Ontario Name Index (TONI)
- The Canadian Gravemarker Gallery
- The Ontario section of Canada GenWeb Cemetery Project
- Ontario, Canada Headstones.com
- Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
- The county was formed in 1845 from Lincoln County.
- Lincoln County was formed in 1792. In 1845,
- Southern portion of Lincoln County was separated to form Welland County.
- In some census and election records from the late 1800s, the townships of Pelham and Wainfleet were enumerated as part of Monck County. However, Monck never existed as a county in the political sense, but only as an electoral district.
- In 1970, Lincoln and Welland Counties were amalgamated to form the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
| Bertie Township
|| Crowland Township
| Humberstone Township
| Pelham Township
| Wainfleet Township
- Cemeteries of Welland and Lincoln Counties Lists of cemeteries in Bertie, Crowland, Pelham, Thorold, Stamford, Humberstone, Wainfleet, and Willoughby of Welland County as well as Caistor, Clinton, Gainsborough, Grantham, Grimsby, and Niagara of Lincoln County.
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid A pointer database consisting of the surnames, cemetery name and location of over 3 Million interments from several thousand cemeteries, cairns, memorials, and cenotaphs in Ontario Canada.
- Ontario Genealogical Society, Niagara Peninsula Branch has created a map showing the locations of cemeteries in Welland County.
- Ontario Census Project: Index to surnames in Welland County 1851-1901
- 1852 Census of Canada West, District 40, Welland County
- 1901 Ontario Census: Welland County searchable and indexed database of census records
- 1911 Ontario Census: Welland County searchable and indexed database of census records
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Willoughby Township, Welland County index of names in 1891
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Bertie Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Crowland Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Humberstone Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Thorold Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Pelham Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Stamford Township, Welland County
- 1891 Farmers Directory, Wainfleet Township, Welland County
- 1880 Map of Willougyby Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Bertie Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Crowland Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1880 Map of Wainfleet Township, Welland County Land ownership boundaries and index of peoples.
- 1858 - 1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Ontario Marriage Registration About 75,000 marriages online.
- 1858 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1858 (complete)
- 1859 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1859 (complete)
- 1860 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1860 (part)
- 1862 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1862 (part)
- 1864 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1864 (part)
- 1865 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1865 (part)
- 1866 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1866 (part)
- 1867 - Welland Co. Marriages, 1867 (part)
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- Ontario Birth Registration Searchable index of Ontario births from 1869+
Populated Places Table
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|City of the Falls||Link||Link|
|Niagara Falls Village||Link||Link|
|St. Johns West||Link||Link|
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
The Forebears website will give you an extensive list of websites that could have information for people who lived in this county. Some sites cover just the county, some cover all of Ontario, and some cover all of Canada. Some sites are databases of names and facts about people; other sites cover background information such as maps, history, geography, or genealogy strategies and methods for the region.
- Ontario Genealogical Society Provincial Index : 1,106,235 names in 277 megabytes of hypertext files.
- Ontario GenWeb Portal Website
- RootsWeb/Ancestry.com Message Boards: Welland County
- Niagara Genealogy: Welland Conty GenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog