Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Webster Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Webster Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1871|
|Address|| 410 Main Street|
Minden, La. 71055
Minden Memories - Webster Parish Courthouse
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Photographs
- 5.15 Probate
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Webster Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1871--Webster Parish was created 27 February 1871 from Claiborne, Bienville, and Bossier Parishes.
Parish seat: Minden 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Webster Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Webster Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Webster Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Webster Parish Biographies (LAGenWeb Project)
The following web sites may have additional information on Webster Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Webster Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Webster Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Webster Parish History Topics (Genealogy Trails)
- Webster Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Webster Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Co. G - 8th Louisiana Infantry--The Minden Blues, Claiborne & Webster Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Webster Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Webster Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Webster Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Webster Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Webster Parish Obituaries (LAGenWeb Project)
- Webster Parish Photographs (USGenWeb Archives)
- Webster Parish Family Research and Photos (LAGenWeb Project)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Webster Parish Wills (LAGenWeb Project)
- Webster Parish Succession Records (LAGenWeb Project)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Webster Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880 Mortality Schedule. Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1880 in the Webster Parish, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Germantown Commission Association
PO Box 389
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Webster Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Webster Parish, LAGenWeb Project. Part of the USGenWeb Project
- Webster Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Webster Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Webster Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Webster Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Webster Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.