|Washington Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Washington genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Washington research include:
- The Appleland Bulletin 1972-. Published by the Wenatchee Area Genealogical Society, 27 S Mission St Annex, Wenatchee, WA 98801-3039, Telephone: 509-888-6246. FHL book 979.7 B2a; FHL film 1321434 items 3-7 volumes 1-10. There is a cumulative index to volumes 1-4.
- The Bulletin 1963. Published by the Eastern Washington Genealogical Society Library, P.O. Box 1826, Spokane, WA 99210-1826. FHL book 979.7 B2e; FHL film 1321441 items 2-12 are volumes 7-16, 18, and FHL film 1321457 item 8 is volume 17.
- Bulletin 1971-. Published by the Whatcom Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1493, Bellingham, WA 98227-1493. FHL book 979.773 B2w; Volume 1 is on FHL film 1321390 items 5-13, and Volumes 2-11 are on FHL film 1321391.
- The Researcher 1969-. Published by the Tacoma Pierce Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1952, Tacoma, WA 98401. Telephone: 509-572-6650. FHL book 979.778/T1 B2r; also FHL film 1321395 has some volumes.
- Trail Breakers 1974-. Published by the Clark County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2728, Vancouver, WA 98668. FHL book 979.786 B2t.
- Washington Heritage 1982-. Formerly Washington State Genealogical and Historical Review. Published by Heritage Quest, Drawer 40, Orting, Washington 98630-0040. FHL book 979.7 D25w.
- Yakima Valley Genealogical Society Bulletin 1973-. Published by Bremerman, Maxine and Nellaray Wilma Borton Holt at the Yakima Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 445, Yakima, WA 98907. Library location: First Christian Church, 3rd and B St., Yakima, Washington 98907, Telephone: 509-248-1328 FHL Book 979.755 B2y; Family History Library films have some volumes, beginning on film 1421625 item 6.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Washington periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Washington-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.