Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Washington Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1819|
|Address|| Corner of Washington and Main Street|
Franklinton, LA 70438
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Photographs
- 5.15 Probate
- 5.16 Schools
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for George Washington. The County is located in the east central area of the state.
Washington Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1819--Washington Parish was created 6 March 1819 from St. Tammany Parish.
Parish seat: Franklinton 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1854, 1897 Fires burned the courthouse, damaging and destroying records. Records from the 1840-1860 period are completely lost.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Marion County, Mississippi
- Pearl River County, Mississippi
- Pike County, Mississippi
- St. Tammany
- Walthall County, Mississippi
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
- Index to Washington Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Washington Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Washington Parish Family Histories and Miscellaneous Records (LAGenWeb)
The following web sites may have additional information on Washington Parish cemeteries.
|Washington Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Records of Washington Parish (USGenWeb Archives
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Washington Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Washington Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Washington Parish Deed and Conveyance Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Washington Parish Headrights. This is a list of "headrights" granted to settlers in Washington Parish by an Act of Congress in 1820. Most of them had taken up land prior to 1810, and not later than 1815. (LAGenWeb)
Local histories are available for Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Washington Parish Histories (USGenWeb Archives)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- 1895 Map of Washington Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Land Grant Map of Washington Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Washington Parish Military Files (LAGenWeb)
War of 1812
- 1883 - Pensioners List, Washington Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Military Land Grants In Washington Parish Louisiana For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Washington Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Washington Parish Newspaper Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Washington Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Washington Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- Washington Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Washington Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850 Mortality Index, Washington Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1910-1915 - Washington Parish Deaths, 1910-1915 (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Washington Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Washington Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Washington Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Washington Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Washington Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington Parish, Louisiana" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Washington Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Washington Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22117.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.