Washington County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Washington County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||November 8, 1814|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
65 State Street,
Montpelier, VT 05601-0426
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 426,
Montpelier, VT 05601-0426
Washington County Website
- 1 Description
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Brief History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County is located in the north center area of the state. 
Secretary of State, Montpelier has birth, marriage and death records; County Clerk has divorce and court records; Probate Court has probate records; Town and City Clerks have land records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Worcester 1763 
- Renamed 8 November 1814 from Jefferson County, Vermont. 
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VTGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
Land and Property
Regiments and Companies:
- - 2nd Regiment, Vermont Infantry
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies G, H and K
- - 13th Regiment, Vermont Infantry
Online Probate Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at Vermont, Washington County, Probate Estate Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries
Cabot Historical Society
PO Box 275
3216 Main Street
Cabot, Vermont 05647
Duxbury Historical Society
Duxbury Town Office, VT Route 100
Duxbury, VT 05676
East Montpelier Historical Society
PO Box 63
East Montpelier, VT 05651
Fayston Historical Society
3685 North Fayston Road
Moretown, VT 05660
Middlesex Historical Society
5 Church Street
Middlesex, VT 05602
Waitsfield Historical Society
General Benjamin Wait House
VT Route 100
PO Box 816
Waitsfield, VT 05673
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Washington County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog FamilySearch Catalog for Washington County
- The Washington County VTGenWeb Project, a member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County
- Northeast KIngdom Genealogy for the counties of Caledonia, Essex, and Orleans. It also has some limited information for some surrounding areas.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699 Washington County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].