Washington County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Washington County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||September 3, 1849|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
155 N 1st Avenue Ste 130
Hillsboro, OR 97124-3072
Washington County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Archives and Libraries
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Church History and Records
- 5.4 Court Records
- 5.5 Gazetteers
- 5.6 History
- 5.7 Land and Property
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military History and Records
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate Records
- 5.12 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.13 School Records
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 Washington County Oregon Genealogy References
The County was named for George Washington. The County is located in the northwest area of the state. 
Washington County, Oregon Record Dates
Record Section, Assessment & Taxation has marriage,
land and military records from 1850.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
from 1896, probate records from 1871 and
naturalization records from 1906. 
- Records Held at the Courthouse
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Washington County Court House as of October 2005.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
16 January 1854: Columbia County set off.
22 December 1854: Multnomah County set off.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator.
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1845 Territorial Transcription and Index (under name of Tuality, Twalatain and Twality County)
- 1849 Territorial Transcription and Index (under name of Twality County)
- 1850 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1853 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1856 Territorial Transcription and Index
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Historic Oregon Newspapers as a division of the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program has digitzied more than 644,000 pages of newspapers throughout Oregon. Dates range from 1846-1922 with selected issues continuing through 1973.
Of particular interest to Washington county researchers:
The Banner-Courier (Beaverton)
The Owl (Beaverton)
The Argus (Hilsboro)
The Hilsboro Argus (Hilsboro)
Hilsboro Independent (Hilsboro)
Washington County Independent (Hilsboro)
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. > Rivers and Waterways
The Family History Library has copies of some records such as:
Washington County coroner's inquest records 1854-1889
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Washington County Historical Society
120 E Main St
Hillsboro, OR 97124
Washington County Historical Society & Museum
17677 NW Springville Rd
Portland, OR 97229
Beaverton Historical Society and History Center
12490 S W First
Beaverton, OR 97005
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Beaverton Oregon Family History Center12288 SW 131st Ave Tigard, OR 97223 United States.
- Beaverton Oregon West Family History Center
- Cedar Mill Oregon Family History Center(Portland)14620 NW Oak Hills Dr Beaverton OR 97006 United States
- Hillsboro Oregon Family History Center
- Tualatin Oregon Family History Center
- Washington County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Washington County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
Washington County Oregon Genealogy References
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Oregon accessed 29 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Oregon page 574, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FamilySearch Catalog Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington County, Oregon" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Oregon, accessed 20 January 2019.