Washington, Native American, Census Records, 1880-1952 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Washington, Native American, Census Records, 1880-1952
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1877-1890 (38 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Census Rolls|
|Record Group||RG 75: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains census rolls for the Yakima Indian Agency located in Washington State.The collection was acquired from the Federal Record Center in Seattle and is part of Record Group 75 Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1880-1952
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Surname and given name
- Birth year and age at last birthday
- Degree of blood
- Marital status
- Relationship to head of family
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search all the records for the location where your ancestor lived
- Look for the family in vital records
- Search for land allotments
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The name of your ancestor may have changed from one Indian name to a different Indian name, consider alternative names
- The name of your ancestor may have changed from an Indian name to a Christian name
- The name of your ancestor may have been abbreviated
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Washington.
- Finding Your United States Indigenous Ancestor
- Starting Native American Research
- Beginning Research of United States Indigenous Peoples
- Indigenous Peoples of North America - A Beginner's Guide
- Searching for a Native American When the Tribe is Unknown
- Washington Guided Research
- Washington Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1907 | 1907-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Census records, 1880-1952
- Heirship records, 1912-1948
- Land records, 1903-1950
- School records, 1901-1937
- Vital statistics, births, marriages, deaths, 1895-1950
- Miscellaneous records, 1881-1948
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States, Native American, Census Rolls, 1885-1940
- United States, Native American Birth and Death Records, 1885-1940
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.