Washington, Cowlitz County Civil Court Dockets - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Washington, Cowlitz County Civil Court Dockets, 1876-1951
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Cowlitz, Washington, |
|Flag of Washington|
|Location of Cowlitz County, Washington|
|Location of Washington|
|Washington State Archives, Olympia, Washington|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains docket books from the Cowlitz County Superior Court and from the Territory of Washington, Second Judicial District Court. The dockets are a calendar of court actions in civil cases including primarily divorces and disputed estates. The page numbers refer to pages in the docket book, the file number range refers to the cases included in the docket book. There is no name index to these records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Washington, Cowlitz County Civil Court Dockets, 1876-1951.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Amount of money exchanged or paid
- Names of witnesses
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page.
- Select County
- Select Record type, year range and volume number or letter
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Washington, Cowlitz County Civil Court Dockets, 1876-1951. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- The records may contain names of family members, guardians, heirs and relatives
- Use any date listed to search for birth, baptism, marriage and death records
- Use the family names and relationships to trace to census records
- Use the information to locate land, property, and immigration or emigration records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching nearby locations
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Washington.
- Washington Guided Research
- Washington Record Finder
- Washington Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1907 | 1907-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Ruth Ott, and Dorothy York, co-editors; Margot Vaughan, consultant. History of Cowlitz County, Washington, 1983. Kelso, Washington : Cowlitz County Historical Society, c1983. FHL 979.788 H2hc
- Cowlitz County civil court dockets, 1876-1951
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Guy Reed Ramsey. Postmarked Washington : Lewis and Cowlitz counties. Chehalis, Washington : Lewis County Historical Society (TN), 1978
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.