|Warwickshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry
5 Sanderling Court
Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY10 4TS UK
Telephone: 01562 743912
Website: Birmingham and Midland Society
- The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry is the principal family history society for the counties of Staffordshire, Warwickshire, and Worcestershire. The modern metropolitan boroughs of Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall, and Wolverhampton (collectively known as the West Midlands) are within our area. The metropolitan boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall, and Wolverhampton are also sometimes collectively referred to as "The Black Country."
Alcester & District Local History Society
Sixth Form Centre
St. Benedict's Roman Catholic High School
Alcester, Warwickshire B49 6PX UK
Website: Alcester & District Local History Society
- The Society explores the local history of Alcester and the surrounding villages, to encourage research, recording and publication for future generations.
Bidford and District History Society
Opposite St Laurence Church
Bidford-on-Avon, Warwickshire B50 4DA UK
Telephone: 01789 763253
Website: Bidford and District History Society
- Our Society was formed in 2006 for enjoyment by those who take an interest in the history of South Warwickshire and beyond.
Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society
Birmingham Midland Institute
9 Margaret St
Birmingham, Warwickshire B3 3BS UK
Website: Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society
- The Society was founded in 1870 and our first inaugural lecture was held on November 10th of that year. Since the outset, the Society has been affiliated to the Birmingham and Midland Institute. It later became the Birmingham Archaeological Society but with the publication of its centenary volume No. 84 (1967-70) it became known as the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society (BWAS). The Society aims to support and raise the profile of the region's archaeological heritage, providing a monthly lecture series, annual transactions and many other benefits to members.
Coventry and District Archaeological Society
Friends Meeting House
25 Hill Street
Coventry, Warwickshire CV1 4AN UK
Telephone: 024 7641 8290
Website: Coventry and District Archaeological Society
- CADAS has always provided a "training ground" for budding archaeologists. It continues to promote the archaeology of the Coventry and district, attending local festivals and Heritage weekends in order to nurture interest in the historical environment.
- The Society was formed in 1994 to fulfill a growing need and to promote and encourage the study of family history, genealogy, and local history in relation to the City of Coventry and its environs.
Handsworth Historical Society
Handsworth Old Town Hall
20 Slack Lane
Birmingham B20 2JL UK
Telephone: 0121 554 6762
Website: Handsworth Historical Society
Kenilworth History & Archaeology Society (KHAS)
The Senior Citizens’ Club
89 Abbey End North
Kenilworth, Herefordshire CV8 1QJ UK
Website: Kenilworth History & Archaeology Society (KHAS)
- The objective of the society is the promotion of members’ and public interest in their heritage by discovering, recording, publishing, or by any other means, the history and archaeology of the Kenilworth area in the county of Warwickshire, England.
Nuneaton & North Warwickshire Family History Society
Baptist Church Hall
Attleborough, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV11 4JZ UK
Telephone: 024 76 381090
Website: Nuneaton & North Warwickshire Family History Society
- We welcome all levels of interest. If you are starting out, we can set you on the right path and show you how and where to access the records you need. If you are stuck, we can show you where to go next. We can also help you to find other people who share your surname interests. We cannot help you to find living relatives but we do understand that you may wish to find long-lost cousins.
- We have Family History help desks at Arley, Atherstone Library, Colesville Library, Hartshill Community Library, Nuneaton Library, and an E-Help Desk.
- Our aim is to encourage and aid the study of Family History which extends to conducting research relating to Rugby & surrounding areas for Members resident outside the district. A comprehensive programme is arranged each year which includes a varied range of talks held monthly, interspersed with group visits to research establishments, social occasions and regular computer and project evenings.
- The Group's talks cover a wide range of subjects of general of local archaeological interest and general or local history.
- We provide a free help service for you. This is dedicated to assist research in Coventry and Warwickshire.
Warwickshire Local History Society
Friends Meeting House
39 High Street
Warwick, Warwickshire CV34 4AX UK
Telephone: 01926 842178
Website: Warwickshire Local History Society
- The Society exists to promote the advancement of public education in local history in Warwickshire.
Warwickshire Industrial Archaeology Society
The Pyne Room
Warwick, Warwickshire CV34 6PP UK
Telephone: 02476 398940
Website: Warwickshire Industrial Archaeology Society
- The Warwickshire Industrial Archaeology Society (WIAS) was formed in 1989 with the aim of promoting the study, recording and preservation of the industrial archaeology of Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull. The Society is affiliated to the Association for Industrial Archaeology (AIA). The main activity of the Society is the regular monthly meeting, with talks by visiting speakers, although additional visits to sites within Warwickshire and beyond are arranged on an occasional basis.
Welford and Weston Local History Society
Welford on Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8EF UK
Telephone: 01789 750716
Website: Welford and Weston Local History Society
- Our objectives are to investigate, discuss, acquire and share knowledge of the history of the two villages, and matters relevant to that history.