Warren County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Warren County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Warren County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 19, 1793|
|Address|| Warren County Courthouse]|
100 Warren Street
Warrenton, GA 30828
Warren County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Warren County, Georgia Record Dates
Warren County Courthouse
100 Warren Street
Warrenton, GA 30828
Phone: (706) 465-2262
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records
Warren County Superior Court
100 Main Street
2nd Floor, Suite 201
P.O. Box 227
Warrenton, GA 30828
Phone: (706) 465-2262
Fax: (706) 465-0232
Warren County Probate Court
521 Main St # 104
Warrenton, GA 30828
Phone: (706) 465-2227
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1909 A fire burned the courthouse; no record damage reported.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Warren County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Warren County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Origins of Early Settlers to Warren County at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Warren County Map at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Warren County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Warren County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 5th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 48th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 64th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Warren County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Warren County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1793-1811 - List of Warren County Wills 1793-1811 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1793-1811 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1793-1829 - Digital Images of Warren County Will Book A (1793-1811) and Will Book B (1810-1829) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1810-1829 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1829-1852 - Digital Images of Wills. See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1810-1852 - Indexes to Warren County Will Book A (1810-1829) and Will Book B (1829-1852) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1797-1807 - Index of Warren County Estates, Wills, Letters of Administration at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1811-1826 - Index to Warren County Annual Returns Book B (1811-1826) at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1810-1829 - Index to Warren County Will Book B Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1829-1952 - Index to Warren County Wills Georgia Pioneers ($).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1794 - 1835 - Warren County Marriage Index 1794-1835. Batch M713911 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1794 - 1805 - Warren County Marriages 1794-1805 at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1833 - 1874 - Warren County Marriage Index 1833-1874. Batch M713912 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - 1888 - Warren County Marriage Index 1875-1888. Batch M713913 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1888 - 1895 - Warren County Marriage Index 1888-1895. Batch M713914 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- Warren County Marriage Contracts found in Deeds and Other Documents at Georgia Pioneers ($).
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
East Georgia Genealogical Society
PO Box 117
Winder, GA 30680
Warren County Genealogical Society
PO Box 47
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Warren County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Warren County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers ($).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Warren County, Georgia. Page 161 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 56-57. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.