Walton on the Wolds, Leicestershire Genealogy
|Walton on the Wolds, Leicestershire|
St Mary Magdalene Walton on the Wolds, Leicestershire
|Poor Law Union||Barrow upon Soar|
|Registration District||Barrow upon Soar|
|Parish registers: 1566|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1562|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester|
|Location of Archive|
|Leicestershire Record Office|
WALTON-ON-THE-WOLDS (St. Mary), a parish,in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (E.) from Loughborough. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. 
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walton on the Wolds like this:
WALTON-ON-THE-WOLDS, a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; 2 miles NE of Barrow-upon-Soar r. station.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Leicester: Walton on the Wolds Bap 1566 - 1666; 1689 - 1920 Marr 1566 - 1666; 1689 - 1989 (Banns to1965) Bur 1566 - 1666;1689 - 1985
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 453-457. Date accessed: 17 September 2012.