Walton County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Walton County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Walton County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1824|
|County Seat||De Funiak Springs|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Voter Registration
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Walton County, Florida Record Dates
Walton County Courthouse
571 East Nelson Ave
PO Box 1260
De Funiak Springs, FL 32433-0000
CLerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1885, probate records from 1882, divorce, court and land records, newspaper records from 1905.
County Health Department has birth and death records.
The county was named for Colonel George Walton, who was Secretary of West Florida during the territorial governorship of Andrew Jackson. He was the son of George Walton, a former Governor of Georgia, who was also a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The county seat is DeFuniak Springs and the county was created 1824. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Loss of marriage and probate records; causes unknown.
Places / Localities
The following web site may have additional information on Walton County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Walton County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Davis Land Records, Walton County USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Territorial Land Records USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Walton County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Walton County Biographies USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
War of 1812
- Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Indian Wars USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Land Grants In Walton Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Mexican War USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Walton County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Walton County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Walton County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
- 1845 Voters in First Florida Election 1845 USGenWeb Archives Project
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
West Florida Genealogical Society/The West Florida Genealogy Library
5740 N. 9th Avenue,
Pensacola, FL 32502
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Walton County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The FLGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Walton County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Walton County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- USGenWeb Archives Project
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Walton County, Florida Page 137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Walton County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/walton/ accessed 04/27/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Walton County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton_County,_Florida 04/27/2017.