|Wales Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Wales genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Periodicals useful for Welsh research are:
- Family History News and Digest 1975-2006. Birmingham, England: Federation of Family History Societies. Family History Library book 942 B2ff. This publication reports on the activities of its member societies. Articles published in the member society journals are summarized. A list of publications is included, offering low-priced, well-written booklets on various records.
- Family Tree Magazine 1984-. Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England: Michael Armstrong. Family History Library book 942 D25f. Features of this journal include informative articles, book reviews, advertisements, a question and answer column, and much more.
- The Local Historian 1970-. Continued from the previous title of The Amateur Historian. Chichester, Sussex, England: British Association for Local History. Family History Library book 942 B2ah. This periodical can help you understand life in England and Wales. It also contains detailed articles on genealogical records.
- National Library of Wales Journal - Cylchgrawn Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru 1939-. Aberystwyth, Wales: National Library of Wales. Family History Library British book 942.9 B2j. This periodical has many articles that will help you understand life in Wales.
- The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion 1892-. London, England: The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion. Family History Library book 942.9 C4c. This publication contains many articles that will help you understand life in Wales. In the 1948 volume, there is a long article on Welsh genealogies.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Wales periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Wales-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.
External Links[edit | edit source]