Wales, Glamorgan, Parish Register Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Wales, Glamorgan, Parish Register Marriages, 1837-1922
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Wales|
|Location of Glamorgan, Wales|
|Record Type||Parish Marriage Registers|
|National Library, Aberystwyth, Wales|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection of Glamorgan, Wales marriage records includes parish registers from 1837 through 1922. For a detailed list of the parishes included and the years they cover, see Coverage Table for Wales, Glamorgan, Parish Register Marriages, 1837-1922.
This collection contains marriage banns and registers from the Glamorgan Archives (formerly known as the Glamorgan Record Office) and the National Library of Wales. The majority of the people included were married by banns. Banns were posted three consecutive weeks in the parish church, during which time members of the congregation could bring forward objections to the marriage. Others, who wished to marry more quickly, or in a distant parish could be married by licence for a fee. The marriage registers indicate whether the couple married by banns or by licence.
The records are organized on FamilySearch by the town name and sometimes the parish name according to the place names specified on the records.
It should be noted that the existence of a marriage bann does not definitively prove that the couple married.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Marriage records usually include the following information:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses' Names, Age and Occupation
For additional details about these records and help using them see Wales Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the bride or groom
- The approximate date of marriage
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information which has been discovered to find more. For instance, use the age listed in a record to estimate a year of birth, if that has not been found
- If in the appropriate period, use the information which has been discovered to find the individual in civil records. Particularly useful for research in nineteenth-century England are civil registration records and the Wales Census
- Continue to search the index to identify children, siblings, and parents. Family members often appear on an individual's vital records, such as in the role of witnesses to a marriage
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Try variations of given names and surnames. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as scribes heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of results which can then be examined for matches
- Expand the date range as well; this is especially useful in searching baptismal records, as it was not unusual for a child to be baptized weeks or even months after birth
- Search the records of nearby locations. For this collection, bordering locations could include parishes in the county of Caernarfonshire
- Consult the Wales Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Wales, Glamorgan, Parish Register Marriages, 1837-1922." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing National Library, Aberystwyth, Wales.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.