Walcot St Swithin, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Walcot St Swithin, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
To see and print out a list of all Bath Abbey's associated and attached chapels, and ecclesiastical parishes, view A Comprehensive List of Bath Abbey's Chapels and District Chapels.
|Walcot St Swithin, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Bath|
|Parish registers: 1691|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
WALCOT (St Swithin), a parish, in the union of Bath, partly within the city of Bath, and partly in the hundred of Bath-Forum, east division of Somerset. The parish includes those parts of the city lying on the north, north-east, and north-west sides of the parish of Bath St Michael.
WALCOT (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Bath, partly within the city of Bath, and partly in the hundred of Bath-Forum, E. division of Somerset. Church registers commence from 1691.
Walcot St Swithin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset. Other places in the parish include: Lansdown, Soper's Farm, and Sion Hill.
The parochial church of St Swithin, Walcot, a spacious edifice within the liberty of Bath City, was rebuilt in 1780 [registers commence from 1691]. It held ecclesiastical jurisdiction over the following chapels.
- Walcot Avon Street Chapel - by 1825 (formerly a nonconformist chapel)
- Walcot All Saints, Lansdown Place - 1794
- Walcot Christ Church - 1798
- Walcot [Holy] Trinity Church, St James' Street - 1840 (a district chapel)
- Walcot Kensington Chapel - 1795 (a district chapelry)
- Walcot Margaret Chapel, Margaret Bldg - by 1840
- Walcot Portland Chapel - abt 1848
- Walcot St Mary's Chapel, Queen-square - 1735 (see also Bath Abbey)
- Walcot St Saviour - 1832
- Walcot St Stephen, Lansdown
- Walcot St Thomas - by 1848
There are (as of 1848) three places of worship for Wesleyans, two for Baptists, and one each for the Society of Friends, the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, Independents, Moravians, and Unitarians; also two Roman Catholic chapels. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bath Civil Registration District has a complete index of civil registration from 1837-2007 online through the volunteer effort of Bath BMD,England Marriage registrations post 2007 are added as index become available. There are detailed content tables available.
Walcot St Swithin, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Walcot St Swithin, Somerset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Walcot St Mary's chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Walcot St Mary's Chapelry Online Parish Records|
||1754-1819, 1827-1828, 1845-1847||
Somerset Online Parish Clerks
Contributor include here any information about the transcripts for the parish and links to the Online Parish Clerk material.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., "A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 168-177. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 19 February 2014.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.