|Virginia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
A variety of genealogical material has been published in periodicals, including transcripts from cemeteries, Bibles, census, court records, and pedigrees. An index to several significant periodicals and other published sources is:
- Swem, Earl Gregg. Virginia Historical Index. Two Volumes in four. 1934-1936. Reprint, Gloucester, Massachusetts: Peter Smith, 1965. FHL Book 975.5 H22s 1965; Films 485948-49; FHL Fiche 6046961.)
Two major periodicals helpful for Virginia research have been digitized by JSTOR. They can be keyword searched for any word in the articles:
- William and Mary Quarterly (formerly William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine). 1892-. Published by the Institute of Early American History and Culture, P.O. Box 220, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187. This has been published in three series: first series (1892-1920), second series (1921-1943), and third series (1944-present). FHL Book 973 H25w; first series to volume 27  and second series to volume 23  on Family History Library films FHL Films 001254-74.) The first series and the second series through 1930 are indexed in Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section. Digitized by JSTOR ($).
- Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. 1894-. Published by the Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, Virginia 23221. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; some early volumes on microfilm beginning with film 833381.) Indexed to 1930 through Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section. Digititized by JSTOR ($).
Additional major Virginia periodicals are:
- Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (formerly Quarterly of the Virginia Genealogical Society). 1963-. Published by the Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7469, Richmond, Virginia 23221. FHL Book 975.5 B2vs. Vols. 1 to 40 digitized by Ancestry ($).
- Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. 1919-52. Published by Mrs. Lyon G. Tyler. FHL Book 973 B2t; some volumes are on microfilm. This is indexed through 1929 in Swem's Virginia Historical Index. Compiled alphabetical reprints are cited in the “Genealogy” section.
- The Virginia Genealogist. 1957-. Published by John Frederick Dorman, P.O. Box 4883, Washington, DC 20008. 975.5 B2vg; Volumes 1-12 on FHL CD-ROM No. 1277. There are cumulative indexes for volumes 1-20, 21-35, and 36-50 in book form and on compact disc. Digitized by American Ancestors ($).
- Virginia Appalachian Notes. 1977-. Published by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 12485, Roanoke, Virginia 24026. 975.5 D25v.
- The Southside Virginian. 1982-. Published by Lyndon H. Hart and J. Christian Kolbe, P.O. Box 118, Richmond, Virginia 23201. 975.5 D25s.
- Virginia Tidewater Genealogy. 1970-. Published by the Tidewater Genealogical Society, 14415 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, VA 23608. 975.5 D25vt; FHL Films 1955382-384, volumes 1-24.
- Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia Quarterly Magazine. 1922-1932. Volumes 1-10. Published by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia. FHL Book 975.5 B2s; fiche 6048982-91. Indexed in Kathryn Barclay, Index to Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia Quarterly Magazine (Norfolk, Virginia: Norfolk Genealogical Society, 1984; FHL Book 975.5 B2s index. Includes Part II: Slaves and Free Men of Color. These persons are mentioned in this magazine.
- The Huguenot. 1924-. Published by the Huguenot Society of the Founders of Manakin in the Colony of Virginia, Inc., 981 Huguenot Trail, Midlothian, Virginia 23113, Telephone: 804-794-5702. 975.5 B2hm. Indexed in Master Index to The Huguenot (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986; FHL Book 975.5 B2hm index; Film 1697534.
- The Southwest Virginian, FHL Book 975.57 D25s.
For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see:
PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-present. Indexes more than 11,000 family history periodicals (including 3,000 defunct titles). Search PERSI at Ancestry.com or HeritageQuest.org.
For more family history periodicals, search the FamilySearch Catalog Place Search under:
VIRGINIA - PERIODICALS
VIRGINIA, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS