From FamilySearch Wiki
|Virginia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Several helpful guides to places in Virginia have been published, including:
- 1835: Martin, Joseph. A New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Charlottesville: J. Martin, 1835. (Family History Library book 975 E5m; film 897469.); digital versions at Ancestry ($); FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1854: Edwards, Richard. Statistical Gazetteer of the State of Virginia: Embracing Important Topographical and Historical Information from Recent and Original Sources, Together with the Results of the Last Census Population, in Most Cases, to 1854. Richmond, Va.: Published for the Proprietor, 1855. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1904: Gannett, Henry. The Gazetteer of Virginia. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1904. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- 1908: Long, Charles Massie. Virginia County Names: Two Hundred and Seventy Years of Virginia History. New York and Washington: The Neale Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; Google Books - free.
- 1969: Hanson, Raus McDill. Virginia Place Names. Verona, Virginia: McClure Press, 1969. (Family History Library book 975.5 E5h.)
- 1971: Topping, Mary, et al. Approved Place Names in Virginia. Charlottesville, Virginia: University Press of Virginia, 1971. (Family History Library book 975.5 E2t; fiche 6051296.) This is not a comprehensive gazetteer, but it lists all place names that have been approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.