Virginia, Fluvanna County Colbert Funeral Home Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Virginia, Fluvanna County Colbert Funeral Home Records, 1929-1976
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Fluvanna, Virginia, United States|
|Flag of Virginia|
|Location of Fluvanna County, Virginia|
|Location of Virginia|
|Record Type||Funeral Home Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes images of Colbert Funeral Home records from 1929–1976. The funeral home, located in Bremo Bluff, served residents of Fluvanna County and surrounding counties. Funeral records are financial ledgers or papers showing the costs involved with arranging the funeral of the individual. Funerals are generally held and recorded in the locality where the person resided or is buried. The name of the deceased, death date, and death place are quite reliable. Other information provided will only be as reliable as the informant’s knowledge or memory.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Virginia, Fluvanna County Colbert Funeral Home Records, 1929-1976.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name and age
- Death date and place
- Burial date and place
- Birth date and place
- Name of informant
- Date and place of funeral
- Date and place of burial
- father’s name and birthplace
- Mother’s name, including maiden name, and birthplace
- Religious preference
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the deceased
- Approximate death date
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Date Range
- Select Record Type to view the images
This collection contains two record types: “Funeral Records” which are images of the ledger pages, and “Index” which is images of the index pages for each ledger except for the date range 1973–1976. Viewing the “Index” record type allows you to locate the name you are looking for and find an approximate page number for each funeral entered in the ledger. The page number from the ledger will give you an approximate image number which can then be located in the “Funeral Record” record type.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Virginia, Fluvanna County Colbert Funeral Home Records, 1929-1976. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information found in the record to locate the death record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage records
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county including nearby funeral homes
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Virginia.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Virginia, Fluvanna County Colbert Funeral Home Records, 1929-1976." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 11 March 2019. Colbert Funeral Home, Bremo Bluff, Virginia.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.