Virginia's Purcell Light Artillery
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Completed its organization at Richmond, Virginia, in April 1861.
- The unit was assigned to R. L. Walker's and W. J. Pegram's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia.
- It participated in many campaigns from Williamsburg to Cold Harbor, was involved in the operations against Petersburg and Richmond, and saw action around Appomattox.
- The battery reported 7 killed and 53 wounded during the Seven Days' Battles, and lost seven percent of the 89 engaged at Gettysburg.
- It was included in the surrender on April 9, 1865.
- Captains were George M. Cayce, William J. Pegram, and R. Lindsay Walker.
- AKA - Cayce's Company, Virginia Light Artillery