Vestfold County, Norway Genealogy
|Norway Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Vestfold ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Vestfold is a county in Norway, bordering Buskerud and Telemark. Many islands are located at the coast. Vestfold is mostly dominated by lowland and is among the best agricultural areas of Norway. Vestfold is known for shipping and sailing. Formerly a headquarters for whaling fleets, the coastal towns of Vestfold now engage in fishing and shipbuilding.
Cities, Parishes, Clerical Districts in Vestfold County
Church Records/Civil Registration
- These are the most important records you will use, and a majority of your research will be found in them. All civil registration was kept by the church parishes until 2012.
- Digitalarkivet: Digitized parish registers of Westfold
- Norway Indexed parish register transcriptions
- The Family History Library has microfilms for all Westfold parish registers up to about 1920. These can be viewed at the library or at a Family Histor Center near you.
- By clicking on the parish links above, you may find direct links to all the records for that parish.
- You do not have to be fluent in Norwegian. These records use a very limited, specialized vocabulary that is easy to learn. For help reading and interpreting theses records, see Norwegian Genealogical Word List, Norway Handwriting, and Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records Lessons 1: Scandinavian Gothic Letters, 2: Names, Words, and Dates, and 3: Handwritten Records.
- Parish Register Headings for Norway: This pdf gives the translation of headings for the records in different time periods. When a record is written with labeled columns it is much easier to search. Much of the material you read in each column will just be names and dates, since the meaning of those names (child, parents, godparents, minister) only has to be read once, in the column heading.
- For more detail on the contents of these records and how to use them, see Norway Church Records and Norway Civil Registration.
- Brunlanes prosti, Prestemanntall 11, 1664 - 1666
- Tønsberg prosti, Prestemanntall 10, 1664 - 1666 (include some parishes in Buskerud county)
- Eiker og Lier fogderi, Numedal og Sandsvær fogderi, Brunla fogderi, Fogdemanntall 5, 1664 (Brunla Fogderi only)
- Solør, Odal og Østerdal fogderi, Larvik grevskap, Manntall 2, 1701
- 1801 Census
- 1865 Census
- 1875 Census Partial
- Norway Census, 1875 FamilySearch database
- 1885 Census (cities only)
- 1891 Census (Scanned)
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census
Family History Resources
Government Offices and Sites
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.
- 1672-1812 - Probate Registers for Larvik 1672-1812
Return to Norway Page