Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Vermilion Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vermilion Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 25, 1844|
|Address|| 100 N State St.|
Abbeville, LA 70510
About the Courthouse (Vermilion Parish Clerk of Court Website)
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
About 1885 Courthouse suffered a total record loss.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Vermilion Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Vermilion Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Biography of Joseph Willis (LAGenWeb Project)
- Vermilion Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on Vermilion Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Vermilion Parish Census Data|
- Index to Vermilion Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Vermilion Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Vermilion Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Vermilion Parish History (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Vermilion Parish Miscellaneous Records (USGenWeb Archives)
War of 1812
- List of Soldiers from Vermilion Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Honor LIst of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Vermilion Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Vermilion Parish News Extracts (Genealogy Trails)
- Vermilion Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Vermilion Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Vermilion Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1850 - Vermilion Parish Births (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Vermilion Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1870 Mortality Index - Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1870, in the Vermillion Parish, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1911 - Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, Death Certificates For the Year of 1911 (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Vermilion Parish Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Vermillion Genealogical Society
PO Box 117
Vermilion Historical Society
PO Box 877
Abbeville, LA 70511-0877
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Vermilion Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Vermilion Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Vermilion Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Vermillion Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Vermilion Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22113.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.