|Venezuela Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Venezuela is a country in South America bordered by Colombia and Guyana. Venezuela was one of three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others being Ecuador and New Granada, which became Colombia). The official language is Spanish.
Getting Started with Venezuela Research
Links to articles on getting started with Venezuela research.
Venezuela Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Venezuela research.
Venezuela Clickable Map
23 states (estados, singular - estado), 1 federal district (distrito federal), and 1 federal dependency (dependencia federal):
Note: The federal dependency consists of 11 federally controlled island groups with a total of 72 individual islands.
Venezuela is divided into 23 states and 1 capital district. Each state is further divided into more than 300 municipios. To learn more click here. To find address and other contact information visit: http://www.gobiernoenlinea.ve/directorioestado/Registros Civiles de Venezuela Knowing about a country's political divisions will help in determining where records such as civil registration and census are located.
More Venezuela Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Venezuela.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Search page
- Introduction to Hispanic Research
- Reading Spanish Handwritten Records:
- Lesson 1: The Spanish Alphabet
- Lesson 2: Words and Dates
- Lesson 3: Reading Spanish Records
- Hispanic Online Resources
- U.S. Hispanic Immigration
- U.S. Hispanic Immigrants: Finding their Place of Origin
- Improve your Search Results in FamilySearch Hispanic Records
- Wikipedia contributors, "Venezuela," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuela, accessed 24 March 2016.