Vainor, Breconshire Genealogy
VAINOR, or VAYNOR (Y FAENOR or MAENOR), a parish, in the union of MerthyrTydvil, hundred of Pencelly, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Merthyr-Tydvil. This parish comprises the hamlets of Coedycummer, Dyfryn, and Gelly, in which last is the church; and is situated on the Lesser Tâf river, about two miles to the left of the turnpike-road from Brecknock to Merthyr-Tydvil. The church, dedicated, according to some authorities, to St. Gwundoline, and, as others state, to St. Gwenvrwi, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and small tower, and is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the Lesser Tâf. There are places of worship for Independents, Calvinistic Methodists, and others; two Sunday schools in connexion with the Established Church, and four connected with the dissenters.
Also known as Vaynor, Vainor or Y Faenor. VAINOR, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles N.E. of Merthyr Tydfil. The village is situated on the river Taff. The parish includes the hamlets of Coed-y-Cymmar, Dyffrin, and Gelli. For more information see Vaynor, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 416-419. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.