Utah County Newspapers
First read the Newspaper section on the Utah County, Utah wiki page.
Former Community Newspapers in Utah County:
- American Fork Citizen
- Lehi Free Press
- Lindon New Utah
- Lone Peak New Utah
- Orem-Geneva Times
- Payson Chronicle
- Pleasant Grove Review
- Spanish Fork Press
- Springville Herald
History of Utah County Newspapers
Over the last ten years the Provo Daily Herald has purchased and absorbed all local community weekly newspapers and after a few years discontinued them. See Provo Daily Herald articles 5 Feb 2009 and 26 Jan 2011.
Some of this was simple consolidation, the rest was from the changes in the industry brought on by the Internet itself. Many papers were shuttered due to the economy as well, but in the case of Utah County this was more from cost-cutting plus consolidation. The Herald owned them for many years before that however, probably going back for some time, probably into the early 1990s as probably the most recent purchase dates for these papers.
Current Utah County Newspaper:
- Provo Daily Herald The current 'paper of record' for Utah County. Has many local obituaries, plus funeral and other notices, and births at the local hospitals.
- Genealogy Bank ($) has 2/27/2001-current
- For selected "snapshots" covering 2000-present see Internet Archive's WayBackMachine.
- Provo Daily Enquirer (1881 -1897) at Utah Digital Newspapers. This newspaper probably a forerunner of the Daily Herald.
- BYU Daily Universe Student paper, may not have genealogical information (i. e. obituaries, or similar information) but valuable for student information, names can be found of students, faculty, and others who attended or were associated with Brigham Young University. With BYU having some family history classes and a full-blown family history library within the school's Harold B. Lee Library, it is also occasionally a place for news about family history and genealogy at times although infrequently.
- University Publications chronicles the life of the university from the 1890s to the 1920s and includes information on campus events and student life, as well advertisements, editorials and essays.
There is also a newspaper for Utah Valley University, but it has only existed in much more recent years probably from the time the university was known as Utah Valley State College, but likely not much before that.
During the 1800s, the Deseret News printed in Salt Lake City UT was an important newspaper for Utah County. But as the newspapers shown above began operation, they became more important locally.