Utah, Salt Lake County Birth Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Utah, Salt Lake County, Birth Records, 1890-1915
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Salt Lake, Utah, United States|
|Flag of Utah|
|Location of Salt Lake County, Utah|
|Location of Utah|
|Records Manager and Archive, Salt Lake City|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection consists of a name index and images to Salt Lake County Birth records from 1890 to 1915. The records are arranged in volumes chronologically. Before 1908, entries were made in registers that were divided into columns and rows. Beginning in 1908, entries were made on printed certificates, with four per page. Separate books were kept for Salt Lake City and the rest of the county, although many county entries were recorded in the city books and vice versa. It is not known if these are duplicate entries. Salt Lake County began registering births in 1890. Separate books for kept for deaths in Salt Lake City and for the rest of the county. Beginning in 1905, the Utah State Board of Health required county Board of Health registrars to record all births occurring in their county. Physicians, midwives, and birthing facilities were all responsible to supply this information. County officials sent certificates each month to the state registrar at the Department of Vital Statistics.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Race or nativity
- Father's name and age
- Father’s birthplace and occupation
- Mother's maiden name and age
- Mother’s birthplace and occupation
- Parents' residence
- Whether a single or multiple birth
- Birth order of child
- Number of children born to this mother who are still living
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- The name of a parent or date of the event
Search the Index
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Utah, Salt Lake County Birth Records, 1890-1915. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log..
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Copy the citation below, in case you need to find this record again later
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other church and vital records such as baptism, marriage, and death records (
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses. Witnesses were usually family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
- Church Records were kept years before counties began keeping records. They are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records
Consult the Utah Record Finder to find other records.
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Utah, Salt Lake County Birth Records, 1890-1915." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Records Manager and Archive, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.