Categorization Discussion[edit | edit source]
Portals[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Wiki[edit | edit source]
- History of FamilySearch Wiki Portals, I created the last 300 pages changed to Non-Portals.
- Present Page Problems may be caused by misuse, misunderstanding, and plain lazy use of Categorization
- The Category Tree is formed by Sub-categories (Lack of understanding among contributors). Some contributors either put the page in the largest category, no category, misspell the category or in a too specific category (Example the title of the page)
- 1. Reasons for use of Categories
- A One reason is to allow us to use the Search within the Wiki
- B Next it help establish the Order of the Articles
- 2. Background Beginning Levels of the Category in the Wiki FamilySearch Wiki maintenance Categories
- 3. Category Tree in each main category (Use of Sub-categories)
- 4. Organize the present Categories and subcategories.
- 5. Use of our Team and Other Volunteers to Organize the Work
- A Use of the Localities & Topics - Wiki Support (Google Doc) to assign areas to work on.
- B. Steps to clean up the Categories.
- 1 Start at the top level Category:Contents Work down through each level.
- How to prevent future Problems? Some possible avenues
- 1. Can we help create a way to organize a drop-down to select a category that would be required for each new page?
- 2. Have a permanent Team to Keep the Categories clean.
- 3. Other Options?
First Step[edit | edit source]
- Compare the Topics found on the Following three pages to see what Topics need to exist on the main category page Category:Articles by topic.
- Category:Articles by topic
- Any Country Category Page Example:Category:England(I am doing this one)LaVera took Germany
- The topic list on the left side of the State Page.
- Bring a list of what is missing on the Category:Articles by topic to the Sept 24th meeting. Suggestion: You might want to use the State or County you have signed up for the Localities and Topic - Wiki Support
I am sorry I found this task not be be helpful for myself. I have however taken a good look at the Category:Categories and the three to six levels up and down in some areas. Below are some of my suggestions. More removal no adding on the lower levels.
Second[edit | edit source]
- We want to form a list of what categories need to be placed on the first 3-4 levels of the Wiki Starting with the Category:Categories and decide what needs to be added, merge and/or delete from those Categories.
- Our goal is to clean up the levels of the Wiki and to create a pattern to follow in the future to keep the Wiki Categories clean and very searchable.
The Levels We will be looking at
- Category:Container categories
- Category:Articles by location
- Category:Articles by topic
Let's Compare[edit | edit source]
Look at the now and possible future
Examples of Levels
Ways we may go
Many Categories We may want to alter