User:RTilley/Sandbox/India, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Daman, Parish Registers, 1887-1997 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of Parish registers from the various parishes throughout the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Daman. Original records are in the Paco Patriarcal in Panjim, India. This collection dates from 1887-1997.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
- Family relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select State
- Select City
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in India.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
A citation will be available on the Collection Details page when the collection is published.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.