- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains an index and images of church records from the Gillfield Baptist Church located in Petersburg, Virginia for the years 1827 to 1906. The church records include membership records, baptisms, marriages and deaths.
To Browse This Collection
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The records in this collection may include:
- The name of the person being baptized,the date, and sometimes the age
- The name of the deceased person and the date
- Marriage record spouse and date
Digital Folder Number List
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know the name of your ancestor.
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select first browse level
- Select next browse level
- Select final browse level to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at title number Title of catalog record|
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at title number Title of catalog record. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Be sure to check carefully for there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
Consult the Virginia Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Virginia, Petersburg, Gillfield Baptist Church Record, 1827-1906" Database, or Images, or Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : publication date. Custodian.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.