User:Dchin/Sandbox/England, Leicestershire and Rutland Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Image Visibility
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains parish registers from Leicestershire and Rutland from 1538 to 1900. The records can contain name, birth date, marriage date, death date, birthplace, parents, etc. The records were captured at the Record Office for Leicestershire and Rutland Archive.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians.
These images can be viewed online at a Family History Center near you, at the Family History Library, or by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you do not have a FamilySearch account, you can register here. For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records: Baptism
- Baptism date
- Child’s name
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ residence
- Parents’ profession
- Marriage date
- Bride and Groom’s names
- Location of marriage
- Names of witnesses
- Burial date
- Deceased’s name
- Deceased’s residence
- Deceased’s profession
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
- Approximate age of the person
View the Images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Rutland Parish Registers. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same area
- Continue to search in the same area for more information on the individual and family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Check for variants of given names and surnames. It was not uncommon for an individual to be listed under a nickname, middle name, or abbreviation of their given name
- Baptism date may have occurred much later than the birth date
- Burial date may be much later than the death date
- A woman may be using her maiden name
- Search the records of nearby locations
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Leicestershire.
- Leicestershire Guided Research
- Rutland Guided Research
- England Record Finder
- England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
A citation will be available when the collection is published.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.