Deborah Gurtler, BA, AG
Education[edit | edit source]
- Brigham Young University, B.A. Family History (2009)
- Accredited genealogist for the U. S. Mid-south region, Spain and Mexico.
Experience[edit | edit source]
- Internship at the New England Historic Genealogical Society (2007)
- Family History Field Study in the Archives of Spain (2009)
- Genealogist for BYU TV’s “Generations Project”
- Worked as a case manager at Ancestry ProGenealogists
- Volunteer at Family History Centers in New Mexico and Chile
- Chairman of the Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011
- Organizing committee for Conferencia Iberoamericana de Genealogía 2013
- SLIG 2020 Advanced Hispanic Research Course coordinator with Dr. George Ryskamp, JD AG
Conferences Attended[edit | edit source]
- FGS 2014, 2015
- NGS 2010, 2011, 2019, 2020
- RootsTech 2010-2020
- RootsTech London 2019
- BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference (Multiple years)
- Genealogical Society of Hispanic America 2017 National Conference (Keynote speaker)
- SLIG 2018 Portuguese Research Course
- SLIG 2017, 2020 Guest lecturer in John Philip Colletta's Immigration Course
- SLIG 2020 Advanced Hispanic Research Co-course coordinator
Classes Taught[edit | edit source]
- Beginning Research in Latin America FGS February 2015
- Crossing Fronteras: Resources for Hispanic Immigration FGS February 2015
- Taller de genealogia hispana FGS August 2014
- “Registros Diocesanos” Hispanic Research Series, Family History Library, October 2011
- “Is PAF All I Really Need” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011 and at the Utah Valley PAF User’s Group, 2011
- “Ye Olde Handwriting” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011
- “Hey Grandpa, Tell Me A Story” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2010
- “Como Empezar Mi Historia Familiar” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2010
- Crossing the Frontera
- “I Found My Abuela in Mexico, Now What?"
- ¡Mi papá también es mi abuelo!
- Recursos en línea para México
- ¿No hay Otros Registros?
- Online Resources for Mexico
- Encontrando a nuestros primos
- ¿Qué harías tú?
- Getting Started in Mexico
- Los libros de la vida
- Búsquedas Eficaces RootsTech en Español 2017
- "Through The Eyes of the Parish Priest" RootsTech 2018
- Getting Started with Portuguese Research BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference 2018
- Intro to Research in Brazil BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference 2018
- Various Hispanic research beginner and methodology classes taught at conferences and in the Family History Library in Spanish and English.
Find more classes taught by Debbie Gurtler here.
Research Interests[edit | edit source]
- Hispanic Genealogy
- Spanish Notarial Records
- Southern U. S. especially tax lists, probate and deeds
- Portuguese Research
- Research in Latin America
- French Research, including Quebec
Languages[edit | edit source]
- Spanish – I can speak, read, and write
- Italian, French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Latin – I can read some of each
Online Activity[edit | edit source]
- Comunidad de Investigación Genealógica en España on Facebook
- Hispanic Genealogy Research Community on Facebook
- Mexico Genealogy Research Community on Facebook
- Regional administrator of FamilySearch Facebook communities for South America and Spanish research worldwide.
- @genealogynerd Follow me on Twitter
- Southern Family History Blog about genealogy research in the Southern United States