User:Batsondl/Sandbox Strategy 8
From FamilySearch Wiki
Finding United States Birth Records
About United States Birth Records
- Most states began recording births between 1900 and 1930, but they started in different years.
- New England states started recording births on the town level starting as early as the first residents of the town. New England states consist ofConnecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont,and New Hampshire.
- Some states began recording births on the county level as early as the 1860s.
- Restrictions: Births after 1900 often have restrictions on who can see them. Each state has its own laws. One state may have births for some years available to everyone while other states may limit access to relatives.
How to Start: Where Did the Birth Occur?
To find a birth record, choose the state the birth occurred:
- What if you don't know the state? — Go to Estimating Birth Information