Beginning Ohio Research
Choose one of the following date ranges that is closest to when you think your ancestor was born:
Before 1867 - limited records
Search a marriage record index
Death and Burial
Choose one of the following date ranges that is closest to when you think your ancestor died:
General Research Tips Success with birth, marriage and death records depends on a few key points.
- If your ancestor has a common name, extra reference points in the search query improve search options and success.
- Find your ancestor in each available census.
- Use indexes, but if the image is available, always look at the image to verify accuracy and see information not indexed.
- Where a person lived can be a great help to group individuals into their correct families.
- Dates in a person's life will point to various options for learning more about them. Even approximate dates for birth, marriage and death can help.
- Find at least two documents from independent sources to verify what you learn.
- Use maps - doing genealogy without a map is like painting with your eyes shut.