United States, Revolutionary War Pension Payment Ledgers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
United States Revolutionary War Pension Payment Ledgers, 1818-1872
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1795-1818 (15 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Pension Payment Ledgers|
|Record Group||RG 217: Records of the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury|
|Microfilm Publication||T718. Ledgers of Payments, 1818-1872, to U.S. Pensioners Under Acts of 1818 through 1858, from Records of the Office of the Third Auditor of the Treasury. 23 rolls.|
|Arrangement||By pension act, pension agency and the first letter of the last name|
|National Archives Identifier||544|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of the NARA roll numbers contained in this collection, see the United States, Pension Payment Ledgers Coverage Table.
This collection contains images of pension payment ledgers created by the Treasury Department to record semiannual payments to veterans and widows of the Revolutionary War from 1818-1872. A few records for the War of 1812 are also included. A coverage table for localities and dates can be found under User Guidance. The collection is arranged by pension act, pension agency, and the first letter of the veteran's last name. The Event Date" is the date pension payment began.This collection is from Record Group 217, Records of the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury, and is National Archive Microfilm publication T718.
See also Alycon Trubey Pierce. Adding 'final pension payment voucher' records to the researcher's toolbox. NGS Magazine 34 #2 (April-June 2008): 42-48.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for United States, Revolutionary War Pension Payment Ledgers, 1818-1872.|
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
The content of the records differ depending upon whether the record is for a pensioner, invalid, or widow.
- Name of person receiving payment
- Name of spouse if recipient is a widow
- State and sometimes city
- Amount of money allowed
- Dates of payments
- Death dates
- Additional comments
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search you will need to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The state and county where your ancestor lived
- The rank your ancestor held in the military
- If a widow, you need to know her name, residence and spouse's name
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select NARA roll number, volume letter, and pension type to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at United States Revolutionary War Pension Payment Ledgers, 1818-1872. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Death dates may lead to church or burial records
- Use the name and residence or locality to search for church records, land records, and census records
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname. This is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been seeking the pension
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames and nicknames
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the United States.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- United States Guided Research
- United States Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Applications, 1800-1900
- United States Revolutionary War Compiled Service Records, 1775-1783
- United States Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783
- United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- 1835 Pension List Volume 1, pt 1
- 1835 Pension List Volume 1, pt 2
- 1835 Pension List Volume 2, pt1
- 1835 Pension List Volume 2, pt 2
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|